Court closes Tornado Cash sanctions case ahead of co-founder’s trial
A years-long legal battle between crypto policy group Coin Center and the US Treasury Department over the sanctioning of crypto mixer Tornado Cash has officially come to an end.
In a June 7 post on X, Coin Center director Peter Van Valkenburgh announced that the legal fight over the Treasury’s authority to sanction Tornado Cash has come to an end. His post came after the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals officially dismissed the case, per recent filings.
“This is the official end to our court battle over the statutory authority behind the TC sanctions. The government was not interested in moving forward and defending their dangerously overbroad interpretation of sanctions laws,” he wrote.
The dismissal follows a series of earlier rulings, including a November 2023 decision in which a district court rejected Coin Center’s argument that the sanctions violated First Amendment rights, ruling that the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) had acted within its authority when it sanctioned Tornado Cash.
OFAC sanctioned Tornado Cash back in 2022, claiming the platform aided illegal financial activities, including the laundering of millions by the infamous North Korea-linked hacker group Lazarus .
But earlier this year, a different Texas court ordered OFAC to lift the sanctions, and the government chose not to appeal that decision. As a result, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals said the case no longer needed to continue.
“The government’s view is that OFAC’s rescission of the designation moots this appeal. Plaintiffs’ view is that this appeal will become moot after the Texas judgment becomes final and unappealable,” the court said.
Still, Tornado Cash’s legal troubles are far from over. Roman Storm, who was indicted by the US Department of Justice over similar allegations of facilitating illicit financial activities, is set to stand trial next week. Storm has consistently maintained his innocence, stating that neither he nor his co-founders knowingly enabled criminal activity through the platform.
Fellow Tornado Cash co-founder Alexey Pertsev was convicted in May 2024 on similar charges and sentenced to 64 months in prison. He was recently released but remains electronically monitored on house arrest. Meanwhile, the third developer involved in the creation of the platform, Roman Semenov, also named in the DOJ indictment, remains at large and has evaded authorities since the initial crackdown.
Disclaimer: The content of this article solely reflects the author's opinion and does not represent the platform in any capacity. This article is not intended to serve as a reference for making investment decisions.
You may also like
Cobie: Long-term trading
Crypto Twitter doesn't want to hear "get rich in ten years" stories. But that might actually be the only truly viable way.

The central bank sets a major tone on stablecoins for the first time—where will the market go from here?
This statement will not directly affect the Hong Kong stablecoin market, but it will have an indirect impact, as mainland institutions will enter the Hong Kong stablecoin market more cautiously and low-key.

Charlie Munger's Final Years: Bold Investments at 99, Supporting Young Neighbors to Build a Real Estate Empire
A few days before his death, Munger asked his family to leave the hospital room so he could make one last call to Buffett. The two legendary partners then bid their final farewell.

Stacks Nakamoto Upgrade
STX has never missed out on market speculation surrounding the BTC ecosystem, but previous hype was more like "castles in the air" without a solid foundation. After the Nakamoto upgrade, Stacks will provide the market with higher expectations through improved performance and sBTC.

